Love songs, greek mythology and technology.


Described as a quirky story full of witty banter and fun, Sirens tells the tale of Sam and Rose, a couple experiencing their 25-year marriage’s romantic spark smoldered. While on their anniversary cruise, Sam is lured by a video Solitaire-playing Siren, a mythological creature now in modern times. She helps Sam remember why Rose is, and always has been, the love of his life.

This production wouldn’t be possible without the creative mind and innovative ideas of director Amy Lane as well as the superior talent of Ablan Roblin and Judy Radcliff. Based upon the show, we asked them a few questions on everything from social media to song success to relationship advice.
  1. In the play, Sam likes Facebook. Do you have a favorite social media site or do you stay away from Twitter/Facebook/etc.?
Amy- Facebook is a fun way to keep in touch with friends around the world; I enjoy that aspect of it, feeling closer to people far away. My parents are very leery of Facebook, as with most social media, similar to how the character Rose feels in the play. It’s a generational thing.

Ablan- I enjoy Facebook. I don’t tweet, but I find Facebook really interesting. It’s an opportunity to catch up with a lot of people I haven’t seen in a long time, from high school friends to childhood friends to college friends, you got it.
  1. If you could have written one love song like Sam did 25 years ago, which one do you wish it would have been?
Amy- A love song that exists that I wish I had written? OK, I am a sucker for "Unchained Melody."  But I don’t know if I wish I had written it, or if I wish someone had written it for me.  Probably the latter!

Ablan- It would have to be a U2 song, “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For.” But I’ve found what I’m looking for now, and I feel like it’s an appropriate song for this show too.

Judy- "Something" by the Beatles (George Harrison)
  1. If you could be a god or goddess of one thing, like in Greek mythology, what would it be?
Amy- Well, being a Siren would be tough…I wouldn’t choose any of those vengeful, violent gods.  So something like a goddess of happy things? Music? Flowers? Or maybe something important like goddess of Wisdom? 

Ablan- It would have to be Dionysus, why not! You know he did invent theatre.

Judy Radcliff as Rose, Ablan Roblin as Sam and Regina Palmer, who plays the Siren

  1. Sam and Rose could have used some good relationship advice. What’s your best tip?
Amy- Make each other laugh.  Decide to be happy.

Judy- Remember that every relationship has peaks and valleys. If you ride out the valleys, the peaks are unbelievable. Also, (from my momma), never go to bed angry.
  1. Would you rather write tons of songs that others cover and are successful or just ONE song that gives you a hit (like Sam)?
Amy- I would rather be prolific and just write whether or not they became “hits” or made any money.  I think Sam has put a lot of pressure on himself to succeed instead of focusing on expressing himself through music.  I wouldn’t want that pressure; I would want to write for pleasure/fulfillment.

Judy Radcliff as Rose, Ablan Roblin as Sam

  1. Sam and Rose have been married for 25 years. What has been your greatest accomplishment in your past 25 years?
Amy- Our son. Definitely.

Ablan- That would have to be my wife and kids, definitely. Everything else has been cool but that has been great.

Judy-  My husband, Cliff, and I were married for almost 30 years -- he passed away just before our 29th anniversary. We raised two brilliant and beautiful children together -- David and Maddie.

See if Sam and Rose can once again find each other in a sea of technology and past loves.
The show opens in the Howard Drew Theatre, Aug. 16 through Sept. 15, 2013; Thursday-Saturday, 7:30 p.m. and Sunday, 2 p.m. Tickets are $35 for adults and $21 for students. For groups of 12 or more, tickets are $23 for adults and $15 for students. To purchase tickets, or for more information, call (402) 553-0800, visit the OCP Box Office or click here.

Story by Brittany Locke

No comments: