Because of You, I Found My Stage

At the Omaha Community Playhouse, you and other audience members are moved to laughter, to tears and to standing ovations. You see worlds transformed and magic happen from your seat in the crowd. And your donation makes that experience possible. But your gift does so much more than bring life to the stage and heat the building. It gives our many volunteers, from performers to crew members, a home. It gives them a sense of belonging and a feeling of family. It gives them confidence and a place to express themselves. Don’t take my word for it. I’ll let Michaela Russell do the talking. –Tim Schmad, President

MICHAELA RUSSELL
At the beginning of 2012, I was at a low point in my life and just wanted to find my happiness again. I decided to begin singing again in my church choir. But that wasn’t enough. I wanted to perform. I decided to audition for Hairspray at the Omaha Community Playhouse. I was terrified. What if I wasn’t good enough? What if I’m not what they want? So I went in for my audition and waited and waited and waited; then it was my turn. I introduced myself told them I would be singing “Colors of the Wind” from Pocahontas. And I did just that. I was so proud of myself for taking that chance. The day I got the phone call from Director Susie Baer Collins was the best moment in my life. Not only did I get the call, but I got the role that I wanted! That was that! I was hooked. Nothing could stop me from being on stage at that point. I feel so at home at OCP. We cry together, we laugh together, we accept each other. I have never met a group of people who truly accept me for the person that I am.

The Omaha Community Playhouse is a sanctuary, and regardless of how you feel in a particular moment, the second you walk in the doors, you can’t help but smile. There is nothing like walking into the rehearsal hall and seeing Susie with her big bright smile saying “Hello Michaela! It’s so good to see you! I am so glad that you are able to be a part of this. I love watching you on stage. You are truly something special.”
I don’t know where I would be without OCP. I will always have a home there. We’re family. I have met so many amazing and talented people. I thought no one knew what it feels like to be completely in love with music. I’m not the only one who has theatre running through my blood stream!

The Omaha Community Playhouse has given me a sense of guidance, hope and love, and I finally feel like I belong. I do not have to be anyone but myself! And that is such a great feeling! And for that, I thank you. I thank you for accepting me just the way I am.

Your financial gifts make opportunities at OCP possible for me and many other individuals in our community. Please consider investing in an institution committed not only to great theatre, but also changing lives and helping each of us FIND OUR STAGE. Please make a donation.

No comments: